DIY Marijuana Brownies for Every Baker
Marijuana brownies have been a long-time favorite of cannabis consumers, but creating a truly delicious THC pastry is not as easy as you think! There are many factors to consider, including potency, flavor, and texture. You’ll also need to decide if you’re going to make your recipe from a box or from scratch.
To help you make the best marijuana brownies, we’ve created this how-to guide with plenty of tips and tricks to try. Once you’re finished, you’ll have a new signature recipe that friends will be asking you for as soon as they take a bite.
Before you get started whipping up your batch of marijuana brownies, give this post a read to decide whether you’re going to make them from scratch or from the box and how you can make sure you get the best results. For quick answers, use the link below to navigate the article.
- Marijuana Brownies from a Box
- Marijuana Brownies from Scratch
- Verilife’s Homemade Cannabis Brownies
- Ways to Make Your Marijuana Brownies Gourmet
- Choosing the Type of Cannabis for your Marijuana Brownies
- Tips for Making the Best Marijuana Brownies
- Other Types of Edibles to Try
Marijuana Brownies from a Box
If from-scratch baking is not for you, boxed recipes are a great way to go. Whether you’re looking to cut down on prep time, or possibly save money on ingredients, box recipes are a slightly easier alternative that will still satisfy your craving.
When selecting your mix, look for a recipe that calls for oil as one of the ingredients. This can easily be replaced with cannaoil. Not to be confused with hash oil or other cannabinoid concentrates, cannaoil—or cannabis cooking oil—is made specifically for cooking and baking. You can make your own at home or purchase it from a local dispensary.
Marijuana Brownies from Scratch
Baking from scratch might take a bit more effort, but if you enjoy the process, the reward will be well worth it.
If you want to try your hand at a homemade brownie recipe, cannabutter should be your ingredient of choice. Cannabutter is regular, everyday butter, infused with high-quality marijuana flower, CBD oil, or concentrates like hash or kief. It’s a bit more complicated to make, but it can be frozen and used for many more recipe creations.
If you’d like to make your own cannabutter or cannaoil, check out our guide to baking with cannabis.
There are countless recipes for the would-be brownie bakers to select from, both written specifically for cannabis or modified to include it. But here is our favorite recipe for simple, marijuana brownies.
Verilife’s Homemade Cannabis Brownies
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Bake Time: 35 minutes
Yield: 24 brownies
- 4oz unsweetened chocolate
- 3/4 cup cannabutter
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 13x9 baking pan lined with aluminum foil
Step 1: Preheat your oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit.
Step 2: Microwave the unsweetened chocolate and cannabutter in a large bowl for two minutes. Stir until the butter and chocolate are completely melted.
Step 3: Blend the eggs, sugar, vanilla, and flour until you have a smooth batter.
Step 4: Pour the batter into the baking pan.
Step 5: Bake for 35 minutes, or until you can stick a toothpick into the middle and it comes out with only crumbs on it.
Ways to Make Your Marijuana Brownies Gourmet
Want to level up your brownies a bit? You can also add extra ingredients to elevate the flavor profile.
For example, you might want to add walnuts, caramel, chocolate chips, and more. You can add these ingredients to the mix for extra texture and unique flavors. If you’re using our recipe for marijuana brownies, add these extra ingredients during Step 3 of the baking process.
Alternatively, you can put toppings on your brownies. Blanking on ideas? Here are some ideas of what you top your brownies with:
- Pecans or almonds
- Pecans or almonds
- Crumbled cookie pieces
- Flavored syrup
For toppings, you’ll want to wait until the brownies are out of the oven to add them. For things like candy and marshmallows, you may want to put them back in the oven for a minute or two so they can melt fully. However, for frosting and other toppings, you don’t want to melt into the top of the brownie, make sure to wait until they’ve cooled before adding them.
However you want to customize your brownies, it’s easy to make this recipe cater to your cravings.
Choosing the Type of Cannabis for your Marijuana Brownies
You’ll find that most adult-use states have plenty of cannabis products to choose from when selecting flower. What will you choose? Here are a few questions to consider as you prepare your brownie ingredients:
- Premium, Popcorn, or Shake: There are pros and cons to these different forms of cannabis flower. Consider your budget and the strength you’re looking for when making this decision.
- Indica, Sativa, or Hybrid: There are hundreds - if not thousands! - of Cannabis strains to choose from, categorized into indica, sativa, or hybrid strains. Which one will suit your confectionary needs?
- Flower, Concentrates, or Both: Flower isn’t the only form of cannabis that’s suitable for cooking or baking. Concentrates like wax or shatter can also be added to marijuana brownies. Concentrates are often quite potent, so keep in mind that a little goes a long way.
Tips for Making the Best Marijuana Brownies
- Use top-quality ingredients for the best results. If you decide to use flower, purchase premium buds from your local dispensary. This will mean less straining in the cannabutter or cannaoil process.
- Prep everything in advance, so you don’t have to do it as you go. Decarboxylating the cannabis and making cannabutter or cannaoil takes time, so make sure this is fully complete before jumping into brownie baking. When you prep all your ingredients ahead of time, you can move through the baking process faster, cutting down the time you’ll have to wait to enjoy your delicious brownies.
- Think about tolerance discrepancies. It’s important to keep in mind that your tolerance for smoking marijuana and eating it are going to be different—even if you’re highly experienced. You’ll want to take that into consideration when preparing your cannaoil or cannabutter and while portioning your brownies. In addition to how intense the effects are from consuming cannabis, they usually last longer too. Factors like the number of brownies you eat, your metabolism, and more can all impact how it affects you. Our marijuana buying guide has more information on how much to take and how to consume cannabis.
Making delicious cannabis brownies isn’t rocket science. Follow the baking instructions above and you’ll be able to whip up a batch in no time.
Other Types of Edibles to Try
Once you have marijuana brownies down, why not see what else you’re able to whip up in the kitchen? After all, you can’t ever have too much dessert. Here are some of our favorite cannabis-infused desserts:
- Bundt cakes
- Gummy bears
- Peanut butter cups
- Crispy rice bars
Marijuana delicacies aren’t just limited to dessert--you can also make delicious pancakes, quiche, trail mix, energy bites, and so much more! Once you master our brownie recipe, see how creative you can get in the kitchen.
Make Your Own Marijuana Brownies
There’s no better time than now to give this marijuana brownie recipe a try. Whether you’re an edibles expert or are trying your hand at baking with cannabis for the first time, with this guide you’ll have everything you need to turn your ingredients into a perfectly delicious batch of brownies.
Remember, the ingredients can make all the difference, so make sure to pick up high-quality cannabis, cocoa, and more to make your brownies taste as good as possible. We have both medical and marijuana, so review our product menus—which are customized by state—to find exactly what you need.
Recreational Cannabis is not available in all states. Cannabis is for medical use only and may only be used by certified patients in Maryland, New York, and Pennsylvania. State laws impact what dispensaries can and can’t sell to recreational customers and medical marijuana patients. Not every type of product, consumption method, dosage form, or potency mentioned on this blog will be permitted in all locations.