What Are Moon Rocks & How Are They Consumed
If you’ve ever heard the term “cannabis caviar” or “infused flower” then you already know about Moon Rocks. If you’re new to the term, prepare to take off. In this guide, we’ll explain:
- What is a Moon Rock?
- What are Moon Rocks made of?
- What are the Pros and Cons of Smoking or Vaporizing Moon Rocks?
What is a Moon Rock?
Moon Rocks are a potent form of cannabis created when a flower bud is dipped in or covered in marijuana concentrates, like shatter or hash oil, and then rolled in kief. Kief is a powder-like substance made up of dried trichomes (the glands packed with terpenes, flavonoids, and cannabinoids) that fell from the dried cannabis flower. There is no question that Moon Rocks are designed to create an extremely powerful psychoactive experience, so if you’re new to cannabis, you likely should not start here.
The history of Moon Rocks is a fairly recent one. Hip hop industry insiders created this product, which grew from music to marijuana to Moon Rocks around 2013. Today, other brands and dispensaries have followed suit.
What Are Moon Rocks Made Of?
While Moon Rocks can be made with any type of flower, the most common strain used is Girl Scout Cookies. The piece of cannabis bud is rolled in some kind of concentrate and then it’s rolled in kief.
Recently, Moon Rock products have started to expand into new avenues. For instance, some cannabis companies have created Moon Rocks that are THC free and have a high CBD content. Others prefer to shop for pre-rolls designed to emulate the Moon Rock experience. They’re created by coating a finished pre-roll in concentrate and rolling it in kief. This allows you to experience Moon Rocks without having to make them yourself and deal with the mess.
Learn how to store your cannabis concentrates with our guide.
What Are the Pros and Cons of Smoking or Vaporizing Moon Rocks?
Like most products, Moon Rocks have some pros and some cons, and you should definitely consider both before trying them. While they can offer a powerful, fun experience, they’re definitely not for everyone.
- If you want to experience the psychoactive qualities of marijuana, this may be a product for you to consider. While it’s true that Moon Rocks are only as powerful as you make them, there’s no question they can be quite potent with the right combination of flower, concentrate, and kief.
- If you’re buying premade Moon Rocks, they can be more cost-effective than trying to buy all three ingredients separately and putting them together yourself.
- Because Moon Rocks are so potent, the consumer may feel overpowered by the experience. If you don’t use cannabis for this reason or prefer not to feel extreme psychoactive qualities, then you’ll probably want to avoid Moon Rocks.
- There are limited consumption methods available with Moon Rocks. This is because they’re so wet and sticky that rolling paper will absorb the moisture. You also can’t place them in your grinder or that will also end up very wet and messy.
Moon Rocks can be a fun cannabis product to consume, especially as a seasoned marijuana connoisseur. While we typically tell beginners that you can try them by going low and slow with your dosage, the truth is, with Moon Rocks, they’re not designed for this purpose. If you’re still interested, visit one of our marijuana dispensaries to find the products available to try or make your own Moon Rocks.
Recreational Cannabis is not available in all states. Cannabis is for medical use only and may only be used by certified patients in Maryland, New York, and Pennsylvania. State laws impact what dispensaries can and can’t sell to recreational customers and medical marijuana patients. Not every type of product, consumption method, dosage form, or potency mentioned on this blog will be permitted in all locations.