Illinois residents may purchase up to 30 grams of flower/pre-rolls; up to 500 milligrams of THC-infused edibles; and up to 5 grams of concentrates. Non-residents may purchase up to 15 grams of flower/pre-rolls; up to 2.5 grams of concentrates; and up to 250 milligrams of THC-infused edibles.
What is a Rolling Tray & Do You Need One?
Are you interested in a small, single-smoke session that gets the job done without using a lot of marijuana? You’re going to want to pick up a chillum. In this guide, we’re going to cover everything you need to know about these one-hit wonders, including:
- What is a Rolling Tray?
- What are Rolling Trays Used For?
- What are the Benefits of Using a Rolling Tray?
- How to Choose a Rolling Tray
- Answering FAQs About Rolling Trays
What is a Rolling Tray?
A rolling tray is a small, flat-surfaced object that is specifically used when preparing your marijuana flower. Think of it as your own personal cannabis station! You can keep your flower tidy before it’s packed into a hand or water pipe, or you can pull out your rolling papers and actually roll your flower into a “joint.”
Rolling trays come in all different sizes, shapes, and materials. You can find anything from metal to plastic rolling trays at all different price points. You can even commission a custom-made tray.
What are Rolling Trays Used For?
If stash boxes are designed to keep your cannabis stored safely, rolling trays are designed to make it easy to actually use your cannabis. Trays typically have a lip around the edges so that you can safely break apart, grind, or pack your flower without worrying about it falling onto the floor.
Rolling trays can also make rolling your flower easier. This is because you can hold them in your lap—a preferred method by many cannabis enthusiasts. No more dirtying your countertops or struggling to get the right angle for a perfect roll.
What are the Benefits of Using a Rolling Tray?
Rolling trays are a convenient tool for cannabis enthusiasts. For those who smoke flower, there are three main benefits to using a rolling tray:
- Avoid wasting flower: Rolling trays are designated places to keep your ground cannabis contained. You don’t have to worry about accidentally scattering your flower in a countertop mishap. Plus, they make it a little easier to make your own pre-rolls the way you want, so you don’t end up with a too-packed or too-light roll that you have to struggle smoke.
- Clean surface: Marijuana flower is messy. Using a plate, countertop, or desk as your designated grind-and-roll station makes clean-up way more challenging than it needs to be. A rolling tray keeps your surface flower free. Plus, they’re much easier to clean, especially if you have a smaller-sized tray that can be easily soaked when you’re finished with your session.
- Stylish design: Designer leather, glistening brass, decorated ceramic—you can find rolling trays in just about any style. You can even design them yourself. This makes your next marijuana session that much more enjoyable, and it may even be something you’re proud to display for your visitors.
How to Choose a Rolling Tray
If you’re in the market for the perfect rolling tray, make sure to consider your specific needs. Do you want something small and easily cleaned? Do you want something that can hold all your different cannabis-related items and your bud? Should it have a certain look or be a particular material? These questions are all worth asking yourself.
Here are the top three things most people factor into their rolling tray purchase:
- Size: You can find rolling trays in all different shapes and sizes–from the size of a small notepad to large trays that are reminiscent of a cafeteria. If you’re using larger quantities of marijuana flower, you’ll want something a little bigger. If you want to bring your rolling tray with you while traveling, you might want something smaller. Consider your needs and remember, you can always get more than one.
- Material: If you have money to spend on a good rolling tray, you’ll want to consider just what type of material to purchase. Wood is likely the most popular and it’s durable and looks great. However, wood can be a bit expensive and a challenge to wash. Metal trays are durable and the pricing is a bit more reasonable. That said, they can be tricky to clean and may rust if proper care isn’t taken. On a budget? Opt for plastic. While not as durable as metal, it is a much more cost-effective way to keep your flower safe and organized.
- Features: Rolling trays can be as simple as a small tray with raised edges or as complex as a charcuterie board, offering different compartments to hold rolling papers, tools, and more. There are even rolling trays outfitted with neon lights. If you can dream it up, chances are it can be added to a rolling tray.
Answering FAQs About Rolling Trays
Purchasing the right rolling tray can be overwhelming! Here are a few things you should know.
How much is a rolling tray?
Rolling trays can be anywhere from $15 and some change to several hundred dollars. If you are looking to get a custom-made tray, it could likely go even higher than that.
What is the best rolling tray material?
The best rolling tray material is the one you like the most. You can find them in plastic, wood, metal, glass, and even leather. For durability, you really can’t beat a metal rolling tray.
Can I make my own rolling tray?
Absolutely. You can go online and design one to be custom-made to your specifications, or if you’re handy in the wood shop or pottery wheel, you can also make your own rolling tray yourself.
Purchasing a Rolling Tray
If you’re looking for a glass chillum or any type of chillum, head down to your local dispensary. Chances are, they will have a variety of chillums you can choose from in order to find the perfect tool for you. Of course, you should also pick up your favorite cannabis flower to enjoy in your new chillum.