Vaping 101: Your Guide to Marijuana Vaping
Vaping marijuana is a common way for beginners to try cannabis because you can vape with limited tools and products, and they don’t require much effort or expertise. In fact, vape pens are a preferred way for many people to enjoy their cannabis. In this guide, we’ll discuss marijuana vaping and vape pens and explain:
- What is Vaping?
- What Makes Vaping Different from Other Ways to Consume Cannabis?
- What Are the Different Types of Vaporizers?
- Why Choose a Reusable Vape Pen Over a Disposable Pen?
- What Do You Need to Know to Use a Vape Pen?
What is Vaping?
While vaping may seem like smoking, the method of heating is actually quite different. When smoking cannabis flower or concentrate, the product is burned before inhaling. When vaping, you are raising the temperature of the marijuana in order to turn the cannabinoids or terpenes into a vapor.
What Makes Vaping Different from Other Ways to Consume Cannabis?
Vaping is unique to cannabis consumption in a variety of ways. Whether it’s the ease of use, portability, or simplified cleanup, there are any number of reasons why cannabis consumers choose vaping over other consumption methods.
- Vaping May Feel Easier to Inhale. Because vaping heats the oil to just below its smoke point, you’re able to experience the cannabinoids and terpenes without the burning sensation.
- Vaping Can Taste Better. Because you’re inhaling vapor, it can present a cleaner taste than when cannabis flower is heated and inhaled. In addition, many vapes come in specific flavors and profiles, which can be easier to taste in vaporized form.
- You Use Less Flower when Vaping. If you’re using a whole flower vaporizer, the process doesn’t actually burn the flower. In this way, you’re typically able to get more out of your cannabis flower than you might when using a hand or water pipe.
What Are the Different Types of Vaporizers?
While you may assume your only option is a vape pen, there are actually many tools that can vaporize cannabis. In general, we start with the easiest tool for beginners and move up from there in experience level. Here are the different types of vaporizers available from least experience needed to most experience needed:
- Disposable Vape Pen: The disposable vape pen comes with the oil already inside of it. Once you finish the pen, you throw it away and purchase a new one.
- Reusable Vape Pen: The reusable pen consists of a multi-use battery that allows you to attach different cannabis oil cartridges, making it easier to try new strains or switch between strains throughout the day.
- Portable Vaporizers: Portable vaporizers are typically a little bigger than a vape pen because you’re able to fill them with marijuana flower or other types of concentrates, like wax or budder.
- Tabletop Vaporizers: Tabletop vaporizers are exactly what they sound like: larger vaporizing machines meant for at-home-only use on a level surface. Typically, tabletop vaporizers use marijuana flower rather than concentrate, and they have a slightly higher learning curve.
The right tool depends on—you guessed it—what you’re looking to get out of your cannabis experience.
Learn more about THC distillate, a common ingredient in vape cartridges.
What Are My Options for Vape Pens?
Not necessarily. Though, if you’re a beginner, most cannabis connoisseurs typically recommend starting with a vape pen. When shopping for a vape pen, there are two different varieties:
- Draw-Activated Cannabis Vape Pen: For this type of vape, you simply place your mouth on the end of the pen and inhale. There is no on or off switch, and there are no buttons to worry about. While this is the easiest type of vape pen for beginners, it doesn’t have quite as many ways to optimize your vaping experience.
Disposable vape pens are typically draw-activated, which contributes to their ease of use.
- Push-Button Cannabis Vape Pens: These pens, sometimes referred to as batteries, must be turned on to use them. Typically, they have a button that’s pressed a certain number of times to activate the pen; however, some just require you to hold the button while you inhale. There are also certain types of push-button vape pens that allow you to adjust the voltage of the battery. This lets you customize your cannabis experience, ensuring you get the full flavor and psychoactive effects of your cannabis every time you vape.
As with all cannabis products and tools, knowing what to buy depends on the experience you’re looking for. If you just want to get used to vaping, a draw-activated vape pen is going to be right for you. If you have some marijuana knowledge, a push-button pen can be a great way for you to create the right vaping experience.
Why Choose a Reusable Vape Pen Over a Disposable Pen?
There are a variety of reasons why someone might choose a reusable vape pen over a disposable vape pen. These include:
- Customizable Experience: You can vape multiple strains and flavors with a reusable pen by simply swapping out a new cartridge or flower.
- Less Waste: Rather than throwing away a pen every time you’re finished with it, you can just reload the battery with new cannabis.
- Better Value: While more expensive upfront, reusable vape pens prove their value by lasting longer and offering more consumption options than a disposable pen.
That being said, if you’re a casual cannabis consumer on a limited budget, you may find that a disposable vape pen is much more suitable to your needs. It’s important to factor in what you need from your cannabis experience and then make the right choice for you.
What Do You Need to Know to Use a Vape Pen?
Once you’ve decided on the tool you want to use to vape, you need to choose your cannabis. Vape pens typically use an oil cartridge, but there are also options for dry flower vaporizer pens that use a small amount of cannabis flower. If you opt for one of these, you may also want a grinder. When choosing any cannabis at your local dispensary, review the effects of each strain to know whether it’s right for you.
If you’ve purchased a cannabis concentrate oil cartridge, you’ll need to open your product and remove the cartridge. There should be a rubber seal over the bottom of the oil cartridge. Remove this and gently screw the cartridge into the battery. It should be snug but not too tight. Then, remove the cap from the top of the cartridge where you inhale. Once you’ve inserted the cartridge, turn on your pen if you’ve chosen a push-button vape pen. If your vape pen has a voltage meter, you’ll want to ensure it’s set low to start with. You can increase the voltage as needed. From there, simply inhale slowly and exhale the vapor.
Always start slow any time you’re using cannabis for the first time. You will have a much more comfortable experience this way.
How to Learn More about Marijuana Vape Pens
If you’re still wondering about marijuana vape pens, why not visit a Verilife dispensary? We have cannabis experts on staff that can walk you through choosing the right vape pen and cannabis for you. You can also check out other ways to consume cannabis, ask questions, and learn more about the industry.
Recreational Cannabis is not available in all states. Cannabis is for medical use only and may only be used by certified patients in Maryland, New York, and Pennsylvania. State laws impact what dispensaries can and can’t sell to recreational customers and medical marijuana patients. Not every type of product, consumption method, dosage form, or potency mentioned on this blog will be permitted in all locations.