What Is A Nectar Collector & How Do You Use It?
Cannabis concentrates are a world unto themselves, and require a different set of tools and knowledge. Luckily, we’re here to help. If you’re interested in marijuana concentrates, one of the consumption methods available is through a nectar collector.
- What is a Nectar Collector?
- How is a Nectar Collector Different from a Dab Rig?
- How to Use A Nectar Collector?
- How to Clean a Nectar Collector?
- Pros and Cons of Using a Nectar Collector
What is a Nectar Collector?
A nectar collector, also called a dab straw or honey straw, is a portable, pipe-like piece used to consume cannabis concentrates. It’s similar to a dab rig, although it looks more like a drinking straw than a water pipe. The name “nectar collector” was originally a specific brand of dab straw created by a glass artist. However, today it’s a general term used to describe this type of device.
There are many ways to consume concentrates. Read about them in our guide.
How is a Nectar Collector Different from a Dab Rig?
If you’re familiar with a traditional dab rig, a nectar collector works quite similarly. However, there is one important difference between the two: With a traditional dab rig, you load concentrate into a nail in the dab rig and heat it up, but with a nectar collector, the tip of the nectar collector is heated and brought to the concentrate.
How to Use A Nectar Collector (Step-By-Step)
A nectar collector works by heating up and vaporizing concentrates. Once the hot tip of the nectar collector meets with the concentrate, the concentrate melts and can be inhaled by sucking through the straw.
To use a nectar collector, you’ll need the following items:
- Marijuana concentrate (e.g. budder, crumble, wax, etc.)
- Silicone or glass dish to hold the concentrate
- Butane torch
- Heat-proof surface to place the nectar collector when finished
Now that you have your tools, here are the steps to using your nectar collector:
Step 1: Place your concentrate of choice on the silicone or glass dish.
Step 2: Heat the nectar collector’s tip with the butane torch for about 40 to 50 seconds. The amount of time it takes to heat the tip of the nectar collector will vary depending on the type of torch that you use.
Step 3: Once the tip of the nectar collector is heated, you’ll want to let it cool for about 15 to 30 seconds. You can use an infrared temperature gun if you want to get the tip to a specific temperature to avoid burning or underheating the dab.
Step 4: Once the tip has cooled to your desired temperature, place your mouth on the straw and slowly inhale as you lightly apply the heated tip to the concentrate in the dish.
Step 5: Continue to inhale as the vapor forms and remove the dab straw from the dish once you’re finished. You can place the tip on the concentrate container as it cools.
Remember, the nectar collector will be hot! Be careful while using it and be sure to place it on a heat-proof surface until it’s cool.
How To Clean A Nectar Collector
Keeping your cannabis tools clean is essential to ensuring you are enjoying your products to the fullest extent. As for cleaning a nectar collector, this process is also quite simple. You’ll need the following items:
- Plastic resealable bag
- Hot water
- Cleaning agent with 91% or higher alcohol content
To clean your nectar collector, you’ll want to start by taking apart the mouthpiece, tip, and body, then blowing into the mouthpiece to remove any water inside. You can then get rid of any leftover concentrate inside with a cotton swab.
Then, place the tip, mouthpiece, and body into separate resealable bags and submerge them in the cleaning agent. Add a ratio of 2:1 alcohol to salt and close the bag tightly. The pieces can soak for at least 30 minutes, depending on how dirty they are. After 30 minutes have passed, shake the bags to clean each component thoroughly. If they still aren’t clean enough, you can keep the parts soaking for however long is needed to get them clean. Once they’re at your desired cleanliness, rinse the parts with water, and repeat if necessary.
What are the Pros & Cons of Using a Nectar Collector?
There is no “perfect way” to consume cannabis concentrates. When selecting your method, it’s important to weigh the pros and cons.
- It’s Portable: The small size and spill-proof design makes it easier to use wherever you need it.
- Less Waste: Nectar collectors are generally considered less wasteful than traditional dab rigs. With traditional dab rigs, wax often gets stuck in the inside of the dab jar, but with a nectar collector, you can actually see how much concentrate you’re smoking, so you can easily avoid waste.
- Easy to Clean: Because nectar collectors are much smaller than traditional dab rigs and have fewer parts, they are much easier to clean.
- Temperature Control: When using a nectar collector, you’ll need to overheat the tip and then let it cool to the temperature needed for the concentrate. This can be difficult to estimate, especially if you’re new to concentrates.
- Heat Risk: While nectar collectors are considered a safe tool, you still need to be careful around anything that has been heated. Otherwise you could experience hot surfaces or broken glass.
- Less Flavor: Because there is less control over the temperature, there is the potential to experience a less flavorful session.
Where Can You Find a Nectar Collector?
Nectar collectors are available at most cannabis dispensaries near you. If you’d like to learn more about concentrates, speak to one of our expert budtenders.
Recreational Cannabis is not available in all states. Cannabis is for medical use only and may only be used by certified patients in Maryland, New York, and Pennsylvania. State laws impact what dispensaries can and can’t sell to recreational customers and medical marijuana patients. Not every type of product, consumption method, dosage form, or potency mentioned on this blog will be permitted in all locations.