Illinois residents may purchase up to 30 grams of flower/pre-rolls; up to 500 milligrams of THC-infused edibles; and up to 5 grams of concentrates. Non-residents may purchase up to 15 grams of flower/pre-rolls; up to 2.5 grams of concentrates; and up to 250 milligrams of THC-infused edibles.
Celebrate Green Wednesday, the Cannabis Black Friday
We all know about 4/20 and maybe even 7/10 (National Dab Day), but another “high holiday” to get behind is Green Wednesday. Known as the cannabis Black Friday, shoppers can find deals in just about every recreational dispensary that’s looking to capitalize on the canna-tidal wave of people coming in the door to stock up.
For this holiday guide, we’re going to make sure you know everything about Green Wednesday and how to take advantage of these pre-Thanksgiving dispensary deals.
What is Green Wednesday?
Green Wednesday is the day before Thanksgiving when cannabis enthusiasts flock to dispensaries across the country to stock up on their favorite products before spending the next day with their families. While nothing has yet to beat April 20 in cannabis sales, Green Wednesday is in the top three cannabis holidays. In 2020, dispensaries saw an 80% increase in sales the day before Thanksgiving, leading to a record $238 million during the 2020 Thanksgiving weekend. Sales also saw increases in 2018 and 2019. These increases come with good reason—dispensaries often run deals up to 50% off on certain items, and cannabis enthusiasts rush to buy their bud on a budget.
History of Green Wednesday
So where did Green Wednesday start? Like with most things cannabis, we aren’t entirely sure, but there is one company, a cannabis delivery service in California, that claims they started it all in 2016. Noticing the increase in sales before the holiday, the marketing geniuses decided to call the day Green Wednesday with their customers, and somehow, it stuck. Thousands of dispensaries started using the name to entice cannabis enthusiasts into the shop for a variety of high ticket deals that can go as high as 50% off.
Green Wednesday 2022 Recap
Whether you’re a medical patient, a dispensary regular, or a cannabis newbie, there are a few things to keep in mind when pre-Thanksgiving shopping to help you get the best deal or find new products.
- In some of the top cannabis-selling states, sales increased on Green Wednesday nearly 50% compared to the previous Wednesdays during the month.
- Green Wednesday was in the top three highest-selling days of the year, preceded only by the Friday before July 4th and, in the number one spot, 4/20.
- Black Friday sales only increased 1% compared to any other Friday of the year.
In one survey, cannabis-loving respondents stated:
- They would spend a minimum of $100 on cannabis during the holidays.
- Cannabis would replace alcohol for 65% of them at Thanksgiving.
- They (54%) planned to consume their cannabis with friends during the holiday.
All of this data proves two important things: cannabis is becoming an integral part of the Thanksgiving holiday, and you need to shop smart for all the deals during the holiday week.
How to Shop Smart on Green Wednesday
If this is your first Green Wednesday, you might be wondering if there are ways to capitalize on deals while also reducing shopping stress. Here are our top three tips to help you do just that:
- Sign Up for Dispensary Emails & Loyalty Programs: We get it—the last thing any of us need is more emails clogging our inbox. But if you’re a cannabis enthusiast looking to catch a deal for Green Wednesday, this is going to be your best way to get ahead of the crowd. Dispensaries send out many of their promotions over email and text, and some even reward their most loyal customers with additional discounts. It pays to be part of these distribution lists and loyalty programs.
- Shop for Deals All Week: Don’t sleep on the days before Green Wednesday. A lot of dispensaries recognize the tidal wave of cannabis enthusiasts they’re going to get that day, so they roll out deals earlier in the week. Make sure you’re signed up for email deals and loyalty program alerts to know when the sales are dropping. It’s the best way to buy bud on a budget.
- Order Online Ahead of Time: On the second busiest shopping day of the year, you can expect some wait times and lines to get to your favorite bud. Because of this, you might find it a lot easier to just order online for pickup in-store. Not only will you avoid the wait, but you’ll secure the product you want before it’s sold out.
Answering Green Wednesday FAQs
Get ready for the big holiday by making sure you know the answers to these frequently asked Danksgiving questions:
Are dispensaries open on Thanksgiving?
While we can’t speak for every dispensary across the country, there’s a good chance that your favorite dispensary will be closed on Thanksgiving so the budtenders can enjoy time with their families too.
When did Green Wednesday start?
While 4/20 is always going to be the busiest cannabis holiday of the year, marketers across the country noticed that cannabis consumers were flocking to dispensaries before the long Thanksgiving holiday. This made Wednesday one of the biggest selling days of the year. Not to be outdone by big box stores’ Black Friday, a California cannabis delivery service named the day Green Wednesday. From that moment in 2016 on, the name stuck.
Do dispensaries have Black Friday deals?
While you can probably expect a couple Black Friday deals at your dispensary, the smart cannabis enthusiasts are going to be there for Green Wednesday, aka the day before Thanksgiving, which is the Black Friday of cannabis.
Celebrate Green Wednesday
The best way to celebrate Green Wednesday is to plan ahead. Make sure you follow our tips for staying on top of deals to ensure you don’t miss out on any sales happening during the holiday week. This may also be a good time to leverage your friendship with your favorite budtender when you visit a dispensary. Maybe they can tip you off to something happening soon or at least tell you when to keep an eye out for new deals being posted.