Illinois residents may purchase up to 30 grams of flower/pre-rolls; up to 500 milligrams of THC-infused edibles; and up to 5 grams of concentrates. Non-residents may purchase up to 15 grams of flower/pre-rolls; up to 2.5 grams of concentrates; and up to 250 milligrams of THC-infused edibles.
Illinois Recreational Marijuana Laws & Information
Your Guide to Shopping for Recreational Marijuana In Illinois
The Illinois Cannabis Regulation and Tax Act took effect in Illinois on January 1, 2020, and since then, recreational marijuana consumers have been flooding dispensaries to indulge in new strains, unique cannabis products, and more. Whether you’re new to cannabis or an experienced cannabis enthusiast, Verilife is here to help you know what to expect when shopping for recreational cannabis in Illinois.
Understanding Illinois Cannabis Laws
Illinois cannabis laws are easy to follow once you know the ins and outs of what you can and can’t do. As set forth in the Illinois Cannabis Regulation and Tax Act, recreational cannabis purchases are subject to the following requirements:
- You must be 21 years old.
- You must have a valid, government-issued photo ID.
If you meet these requirements, you are welcome to shop in a recreational dispensary in Illinois.
Marijuana Purchase & Possession Limits in Illinois
Recreational cannabis consumers in Illinois can visit as many dispensaries as they want, but there are laws around marijuana purchase and possession limits. Additionally, these laws vary for Illinois residents and non-residents.
Marijuana Purchase & Possession Limits for Illinois Residents
Illinois residents can purchase and possess:
- Up to 30 grams of cannabis ﬂower
- Up to 5 grams of cannabis concentrate
- Up to 500 mg of THC in cannabis-infused products, including edibles
Marijuana Purchase & Possession Limits for Non-Illinois Residents
If you are not an Illinois resident, you may purchase and possess:
- Up to 15 grams of cannabis ﬂower
- Up to 2.5 grams of cannabis concentrate
- Up to 250 mg of THC in cannabis-infused products, including edibles
Recreational Cannabis Sales Tax in Illinois
Recreational cannabis in Illinois is subject to both state and local taxes:
- Cannabis products including flower with less than 35% THC have a 10% sales tax.
- Cannabis-infused products (e.g. edibles) have a 20% sales tax, regardless of THC level.
- Cannabis products with over 35% THC concentrations have a 25% sales tax.
- State and local sales taxes may also apply to the purchase of marijuana in Illinois.
For those who qualify for medical cannabis in Illinois, sales tax is 1% on all purchases.
Where Can I Use Recreational Cannabis in Illinois?
In Illinois recreational cannabis can only be consumed on private property, including your home, backyard, porch, or any other privately owned area that is out of view of the public. However, landlords may have additional rules regarding cannabis consumption, so you should always check the rules for your location.
Consuming cannabis is illegal in the following locations or situations:
- Public places, including streets and parks
- Any motor vehicle
- On school grounds (except for approved medical users)
- Around a minor
- Near on-duty school bus drivers, police officers, firefighters, and correction officers
- Traveling across state lines
- Section 8 government-funded housing
Enjoy Recreational Marijuana In Illinois
Everyone experiences marijuana differently depending on a variety of factors. We always recommend starting slow, whether you’re trying a new strain of cannabis flower, a concentrate, edible, tincture or other cannabis product.
Want to visit one of our Illinois locations? Find a Verilife dispensary near you.