Selecting a Vape Pen: How to Choose the Right One
Choosing the right vape pen or vaporizer comes down to preference (as do most things when it comes to cannabis). Still, it’s important to be educated about your options so you can decide what’s going to suit the experience you’re looking for.
In this guide, we’ll cover the tools many cannabis enthusiasts use for vaping, and answer your questions along the way.
New to vapes? Check our Vaping 101 article.
What is a Cannabis Vaporizer?
A marijuana vape pen is a type of handheld consumption device that uses a battery to heat cannabis oil. Once the oil is heated, it turns into vapor that can be inhaled. Vape pens come in a variety of shapes and sizes to meet cannabis consumers’ needs.
What Are the Different Types of Marijuana Vapes to Know?
There are plenty of tools you can use to vaporize cannabis, some requiring no experience and others requiring prior knowledge and multi-part devices. We’ve put together a list of options to choose from that suit a wide range of consumers.
Disposable Marijuana Vape Pen
The disposable vape pen comes with the oil already inside of it. Once you finish the pen, you simply throw it away and purchase a new one.
- Pros: Disposable vape pens are extremely easy to use and require no additional tools. These are highly recommended for cannabis newbies.
- Cons: If you like to try different strains, you’ll need to opt for a different tool. A disposable vape pen only carries the product that’s loaded into it by the manufacturer, and you can’t add more to it once it’s empty.
Reusable Marijuana Vape Pen
The reusable pen consists of a multi-use battery that allows you to attach different cannabis oil cartridges, making it easier to try new strains or switch between strains as often as you like. Remember, the “vape pen” is actually a rechargeable battery, so you’ll need to purchase the vape cartridges that contain the cannabis product.
- Pros: While the vape cartridges that attach to the battery can be pricey, they last a lot longer than a disposable vape. You also have much more control over your experience as you can purchase batteries that allow for temperature adjustments.
- Cons: There are a few more decisions involved with this one, including choosing the right vaporizer battery. From draw-activated to push-button batteries, you’ll want to select this prior to choosing your vape cartridge.
Portable Cannabis Vaporizers
Portable vaporizers are typically a little bigger than a vape pen because you’re able to pack them with marijuana flower or other types of concentrates, like wax or budder. They may also be referred to as dry herb vaporizers.
- Pros: Portable vaporizers are an awesome option if you want to try other types of marijuana concentrates or actual flower strains. You aren’t just constrained to vape oil.
- Cons: These vaporizers tend to be bulkier and less friendly to beginners trying to learn how to vape.
Tabletop Cannabis Vape
Tabletop vaporizers are exactly what they sound like: larger vaporizing machines meant for at-home-only use on a level surface. Typically, tabletop vaporizers use marijuana flower rather than concentrate, and they have a slightly higher learning curve.
- Pros: You can try any strain of marijuana you would like because this vaporizer exclusively vapes cannabis flower.
- Cons: The table top vape is not a vape you’re going to want to move very often. They are also the least beginner-friendly vaporizer.
How Much Do Cannabis Vape Pens Cost?
Cannabis vaporizers can cost anywhere from $25 to more than $250! It all depends on the method of vaporization. Disposable vape pens have the lowest price tag, but it’s more cost-effective to purchase a battery and vape cartridges. It all depends on the experience you’re seeking.
Cannabis Vaporizer FAQs
Our Budtenders spend their day answering cannabis consumers’ questions. Here are a few of the most commonly asked questions we hear at our dispensaries.
How long do THC vape pens last for?
This depends on the type of vape pen you choose. A disposable vape pen is typically not rechargeable, so it only lasts as long as the battery. A reusable vape pen can last as long as there is still oil in the cartridge.
Do vape pens fit all cartridges?
Not all vape cartridges are alike! The typical size is a 510-thread cartridge, and this will fit many batteries available at your local dispensary. There are also a few battery-specific cartridges, such as pods, that only work for a certain brand.
What are the best small vapes?
If you’re looking for something small and discrete, we recommend a disposable vape pen. They fit in your pocket.
Do I need to recharge my THC vape pen?
If you have a reusable vape pen, you will likely need to charge it. Be sure to review the directions on your battery to find out more.
Purchasing Cannabis Vaporizers from a Dispensary
If you’re new to vaping, we always recommend starting with a pen, either disposable or reusable.. Once you’ve tried vaping and enjoyed it, upgrade to a better vaporizer for yourself or even a table top vaporizer you can enjoy with friends.
Visit a dispensary today to find the vaporizer you want for your next vape session.
Recreational Cannabis is not available in all states. Cannabis is for medical use only and may only be used by certified patients in Maryland, New York, and Pennsylvania. State laws impact what dispensaries can and can’t sell to recreational customers and medical marijuana patients. Not every type of product, consumption method, dosage form, or potency mentioned on this blog will be permitted in all locations.